Principles to make understanding your Bible easier
The Law of First Mention
- The fourth rule of interpretation is The Law of First Mention.
- The meaning of the law of First Mention: The Law of First Mention may be said to be the principle that requires one to go to that portion of the Scriptures where a doctrine is mentioned for the first time and to study the first occurrence of the same in order to get the fundamental inherent meaning of that doctrine.
- When this law is applied the simple precedes the complex.
- A history of the development of anything will show that it sprang from something in the very simplest form (for example the steamship; airplane; automobile).
- In the Scriptures the growth and development of ideas and doctrine might be illustrated by some simple word.
- Throughout the history of a term it may have increased its meaning and undergone certain changes, yet the basic, original, fundamental thought is seldom lost.
- The fundamental concept usually controls or is dominant in coloring every shade of idea expressed by a term in its current usage.